CLEVELAND, Ohio — Summer is hot. While the sun is nice to most Clevelanders, we rely on air conditioning to keep us comfortable at home. And as gas prices rise, more time is spent at home. For those who do not have central AC, small units can be installed in the windows, or portable units can be placed outside the window. But how do you know what to buy?
We are here to help with this online marketing guide below.
THERE’S FOOD: 6 fans that everyone wants for hot summer days
Start by understanding the different types of air conditioners – window and portable, which can be wheeled from room to room. Then, determine the amount of cooling power required for the room size. The Appliance Connection has a simple BTU calculator that you can use before checking their heating schedule. Before you order, make sure you know the size of the vent or hose if it will fit in the lead to the window you want to use.
Finally, select the features you want such as timer, remote control and Bluetooth.
Now, start shopping — before the best pieces are gone.
- Frigidaire 8,000 BTU, 350 square feet of heating area, adjustable air direction ($245, Appliance Connection): Adjustable 24-hour, sleep mode and remote control. It’s free for $99.
- Toshiba 8,000 BTU, 350 sq. ft. cooling zone, WiFi touch-control with remote ($299, Home Depot): The unit can be controlled from your smartphone, Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Soleus Air 8,000 BTU, floor-standing, 350 sq. ft. cooling zone ($629.99, Walmart): This machine bypasses the window, so it takes up more window space. Connect to WiFi to control from your phone or connect to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Profile GE 8,100 BTU, 350 sq. ft. cooling zone ($348, Amazon): This is very quiet and offers WiFi connectivity.
- LG Electronics 8,000 BTU, 350 sq. ft. zone cooler, ($289, Lowe’s): This unit can be controlled from your smartphone, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
See more window treatments on Amazon
Check out window treatments on Wayfair
Portable air conditioning
Whynter 14,000 BTU, 500 sq. ft. heating area ($445, Amazon): Fan with activated carbon filter. There are three types of functions which are air conditioner, cooler and fan.
Black + Decker 14,000 BTU, 500 sq. ft. Cooling zone ($449.00, originally $549.99, Wayfair): Includes remote and programmable timer.
Frigidaire 14,000 BTU, 500 sq. ft. space heater and heater ($532.47, Home Depot): With additional heating function you can use this unit year-round.
GE 14,000 BTU, 500 sq. ft. space heater and cooler ($489.99, Appliance Connection): Features automatic evaporation, digital LED controls and remote control.
Honeywell 14,000 BTU, 500 sq. ft. heating and cooling station ($629.99, Walmart): Offers a heating function.
Check out more portable air conditioners from Home Depot
Check out more portable air conditioners at Walmart
I am a marketing writer for cleveland.com. I help readers find the best deals on necessities and investments. You can reach me firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is a directory of my posts.